Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Home Sweet Home


For the past week, Valley Girl Style has been exploring the West Coast. I was able to spend a few wonderful, sun-filled days in San Diego, CA enjoying time with some family and friends there (which really was too short of a trip) and then made the trek over to Phoenix, AZ with a final destination of Sedona, AZ for my sister's wedding. The trip was without a doubt one of my all-time favorites. While temps back in the Valley were in the low 60's (so I am told), The West Coast was kind enough to give us warm weather with temps in the 70's and 80's our entire trip. Everyone is so relaxed there. It was so wonderful just to take in all the sun and the slow pace. After a week, I started wondering why I didn't live on the West Coast.

Everyone is so friendly and happy and honestly, you can't blame them! However, while I got on the plane back to Philadelphia with a tear in my eye and took my seat on the plane, a small feeling of excitement to go home started to rise. While settling into our seats and preparing for take off, we overheard an interesting conversation between a flight attendant and passenger where the passenger complained to the female flight attendant that her seat was broken. The flight attendants response: "Nothing I can do about that now." The passenger then informed the flight attendant that she was going to write a letter to the airline and tell them about it... to which the flight attendant responded "You're going to write a letter...and tell the airline that your seat is broken?? HA!" --- My thought, Philadelphia here I come!

There is really only so much sunshine and happiness one person can honestly take. The banter between the flight attendant and passenger, while slightly inappropriate, was actually very straight forward and honest. I have a tendency to be very straight forward and if you ask me something, I will give you a truthful response (good or bad). So to me, this conversation (coupled with when the other flight attendant - who were calling themselves "chocolate thunder" and "vanilla ice" I might add - called out a woman by seat number on the loudspeaker for talking on her cell phone) was just what the doctor ordered.

As if Pennsylvania was trying to tell me something, the final seal of assurance came when we landed as we found that during our trip the Valley had put on a show and the leaves were in full fall-mode. The colors of all the trees changing put any lingering West Coast envy out of my mind and I realized -- I am a permanent Valley Girl. Pennsylvania is amazing and I love living here. It's good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think I would fit in wonderfully in San Diego...I have never been there but everyone tells me I belong there. I think the warm weather and the laid back style would fit me perfectly:) I hope you had a great time with your sister!

    ReplyDelete